Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spirituality & Service - A Perspective

I am a civil servant by vocation and have been meditating for several years. Over this time, I have found that contact with me has encouraged many of my colleagues to start taking interest in spirituality. All this happens silently, behind the scenes.

I have a colleague, who is also a friend of long standing. Besides being a great worker at the office, he stands for simple living, has Gandhian views and is passionate about social and personal uplift. He has great plans and shares the same freely with me. I believe he is destined to do some great work and have always been very encouraging.

Recently, my friend asked, “What has been the real and permanent effect of your spirituality in your own organisation? If yes, how? If not, why?”

A spontaneous response that arose from within me is reproduced below.

“I cannot answer your question. In my view, there is nothing real and permanent about any organization (establishment). So how can any form of spirituality make any "permanent" or "real" contribution to it? Contribution, if any, can only be towards sustaining people and encouraging that effort which will help them evolve according to their chosen path. This may not be quite visible on the outside in measurable terms. About this, you can ask yourself in the light of our own association.

“Spirituality essentially directs one towards the discovery of Self. So, it cannot be directed towards an organization. This is why all religions (organizations or establishments) have the tendency to turn decadent, when the prophet is no longer there, his teachings have been codified in books that reign supreme and are interpreted by the custodians according to their own limited understanding. Has this not happened with Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and so on.......?”

This is what my friend wrote back in his reply:

“You are correct. My field of action is somewhat different. I am working for the present and immediate. You are perhaps for a wholesome change in man. If the man changes, he changes everything. He does not need to be told everyday. We could perhaps be complementary.

“I apply myself to bring about some immediate change in my surroundings and the people around me. Meeting these demands drains my energies. Hence, I need spiritual stimulation to keep my spirits intact. But, my spiritual search stops here.

“As far as my own evolution in the spiritual realm is concerned, I find myself in no hurry. I will let such evolution come when it comes.

“Over the last 3-4 years, I have noticed my initiatives getting more and more empowered and bearing some great results. I am aware that my role in all this is that of a mere instrument. Yet, I am tempted to take credit for the results. I know that it is work of the ego, which does not go away easily. My attitude is to let ego also take its time to dissolve.

“These days, when I approach others with my plans their response is certainly more and more positive. This would not happen earlier. Your being with me makes a lot of difference.”

The above response contains a great perspective. The intention to help others, even in mundane matters, comes from an innate recognition of commonality (self-sameness) amongst all beings. This itself shows tremendous spiritual evolution as the spiritualist sees divinity not just within himself but also in all.

Also, there underlies another beautiful thought in this response. In the immediate present, the author is diligently applying himself to ensure comfort and growth of all others. He puts this action in the forfront of all his pursuits, even personal quest for spiritual evolution. This is pure compassion in action – putting service before self.

The view that ego will take its own time to dissolve also has a wonderful message. A Theosophist seeks to kill out ambition [Ref: Light on the Path]. Yet, he understands that ambition is a necessary curse. Only the ambitious has a chance to realize the futility of ambition and let go of it. This is the work of enhanced awareness.

The same process applies to ego also. Ego propels us to act. If ego were to be quelled suddenly, most people will just become inert. For the spiritualist, there is no scope for inertia. He must work for the work's sake. This happens only through a process, wherein one has to recognize the ego and its futility. For this to happen there is no need to shun either action or the attendant sense of ego. What is needed is increasing awareness.

Seva (self-less service) is a great purifier and is sure to bring great fruit. Let’s salute the man and his mission.

1 comment:

  1. True sir..Lately there is increasing tendency of presenting the Spirituality from Utilitarian point of view to fit into market. It's very damaging. The wholesome change in man is what it brings about. It is said that Great men work most when they are actually silent. The silence and purity of a person brings about a tremendous change in others. I remember your session at NADT which initiated many of us into the meditative pursuit. Anyways keep writing sir.

    ReplyDelete